Cycle to Serve
Date: Saturday, May 13, 2017
Time: 8:15am; Registration begins at 7:00am
Registration: Hogwaller Stage beside Luna Cycles
110 Church St NW, Lenoir, NC
Ride Begins: Corner of Main and Harper in
Downtown Lenoir, NC
Distance: 25 miles, 40 miles, and 100k (62.25 miles)
|Committee Members||William Sullivan, Chair||Paul Brandenburg|
|Geoff Burbridge||Michael Dineen||Adam Sterken|
|Falon Veit Scott||David Waechter||Bob Giduz|
Cycle to Serve is an annual bicycle ride, begun in 2007, to promote health and wellness in Caldwell County, as well as being a major fundraiser for the Lenoir Rotary Club. The ride usually takes place on the Saturday before Mother’s Day in May (Or an alternate date to be selected.), and involves many Rotarians in a wide variety of tasks prior to and on the day of the ride. Subcommittees include Publicity/Marketing, Fundraising, Post-ride Events, Registration, and Course Coordination.
Riders may choose from three different courses, all of which begin and end in downtown Lenoir, only about an hour and twenty minutes from Charlotte, Asheville, or Winston-Salem.
- the metric century
- a 40 mile route
- a 25 mile route
Budget: Goal of $10,000 net profit
All proceeds from this ride will be used for the Rotary Club’s charitable program. Some of these projects include:
- Providing a Christmas party and gifts for 70 disadvantaged children,
- Tutoring and helping provide dictionaries for every third grader in the Caldwell County Schools,
- Providing lunch for the Special Olympics,
- Sponsoring a Little League baseball team,
- Sending three students to the Rotary Youth Leadership camp,
- Funding over $7,000 in educational scholarships.